+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does media affect you perception of crime?

Default Does media affect you perception of crime?

How much influence do you think the media has on your perceptions of crime?

I have noticed over the last several years how the press have always managed to put a spin on crime figures to make them appear worse than they actually are.

Sensationalist journalism is very effective. When three teenage boys were shot dead in London back in February the number of serious violent crimes recorded in Lambeth and Southwark was at 3 year lows and the number of murders that month was the lowest of the financial year in London. Yet the attention given to these incidents (im not condoning or playing down the sadness and atrocity of it) gave rise for a kind of "moral panic" of increasing violent crime and gang wars

Every year we get the usual Violent Crime rises yet again stories. Most people do not realise what constitutes violent crime. The violence against the person category that is often being referred to includes a number of crimes that are not actually violent in nature (possession of offensive weapon, dangerous dogs, verbal harrassment and threats). With more and more people willing to report these crimes and the introduction of the national crime recording standard (NCRS) it has forced figures up in the violence against the person category sparking off the headlines "Violent Crime on Rise Again"

If we look at GBH yes it has risen over the last few years but only ever so minimally - maybe it could be population increase affecting this. The number of serious assaults however and murder have remained fairly constant but this "acheivement" is hidden by the increases in other non violent in nature offences.

The way the media twists and spins information has many people fearing crime? Or do people not buy into it?

They don't influence me too much. Everytime I watch the news, I remind myself that they like to "fudge" the truth.

The media always overexaggerates things to make it more interesting to the viewer. I trust the media somewhat, but I find that you shouldn't trust the Media TOO much, because you will end up believing everything they say.

I do get very upset at times as i know most of them are exaggerated and i feel sorry for the victim/s and their family. Of course not evry one exaggerates. I just hope that media will be more sensitive to other people's feelings.

I laugh everytime I see the news cut in the middle of what a person is saying.

The media always overexaggerates things to make it more interesting to the viewer. I trust the media somewhat, but I find that you shouldn't trust the Media TOO much, because you will end up believing everything they say
    yeah i agree with that. Dont trust media 100% coz they always edit the story. some news, medias even report the different thing. like no. of people who died or injured. Dont forget they need to draw people attention to watch they news for rating and sell commercial spots as well.

I think Media who exaggerates the story should be penalized as well! What do you think guys?

How can we penalize them? They will just said its the problem of their sources or just misunderstanding of the story itself. Hard to do though.

Shame we cant penalise media cos they put spins and twists on the statistics, for instance when the Violence Against the Person category increases they say "violent assaults up 3.2%". The example im referring to though had a 3.2% increase in VAP because of stop searches resulting in offensive weapons offences (non violent innature) whilst actual assaults were down. Lies, lies and damn statistics

U can do anything you want with figures

I think you can actually sue the media/ sources if they do exaggerate the stories but of course it will be a very hard and long battle unless you have the resource to use to sue them.

+ Reply to Thread