+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this legal

Default Is this legal

If you hired someone to do a job for you but did not have a contract other than your/their word on email and they didn't finish a job could you withold total payment. Let's say they were ill and only finished 75% of the job and you accepted and used what they finished, could you get away with not paying any.

Quote Originally Posted by fitnessk View Post
    If you hired someone to do a job for you but did not have a contract other than your/their word on email and they didn't finish a job could you withold total payment. Let's say they were ill and only finished 75% of the job and you accepted and used what they finished, could you get away with not paying any.
    Well word on email is a form of contract and as far as I know verbal contract with both parties agreed is also a legal contract. Legally as agreed on your verbal or email contract you have to pay whatever job they finished, well of course you can get away from not paying them if you are not happy with the 75% finished job but of course they can demand from you to pay as well. So it depends on what have you agreed.

Ok because I was thinking if that person had a doctor's letter and everything that they would have the right to some payment.

Well a doctor's certificate will be a good document to proved that they are ill but if you agreed to pay them no matter how much they have finished their work you have a responsibility to pay them as per agreed contract.

You said you accepted and used what they finished. This also some kind of Acknowledgement in a way, so you have to pay for what they have finished. Yes, he can take you to courts with that email proof and the stuff that u had used. I don’t think you can get away by not paying.

Normally ppl think, with only an email proof how they gona fight this scam. Ummmm you have to remember every email you send got a IP address in the header details this IP address can tell you where you are and your ISP, with little help from your IPS they can find your full address. But not in case of a hacker where he know how to hide his IP tho … by going to public internet or sending emails from a proxy server and all that stuff.

Oh I am not the person who accepted work sorry if you misunderstood. If I had been in those shoes i would have paid the person for the portion that they were able to complete before becoming ill. If for some reason I did not feel I could pay them, I wouldn't have accpeted the work they were able to do.

Every situation varies depending upon your agreements. Was the pay to be for the whole job or broken down into portions?

It really depends on the specifics of the situation, but I think that you would have pay something.

There are 7 rules of contracts from what I remember from my business class...so I guess the verbal contract would be "signed".

+ Reply to Thread