+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A.S.B.O failing as a deterrent?

bex09 Guest

Question A.S.B.O failing as a deterrent?

Does anyone think that the A.S.B.O actually works as a deterrent to stop the youth of today misbehaving?
    I tend to agree with the media that it is now seen more as a 'badge of honour' due to the very little risk of any form of punishment which would seriously affect the person in question. They seem to actually see the A.S.B.O as a bit of a joke. But is this a sign of the lack of respect and responsibility of the youth of today or a true reflection that the A.S.B.O just doesn't have a deterring or reductive effect?

Talking

Hi Bex,

I totally agree, the youth of today are out of control. An ASBO means nothing to them, other than like you say a badge of honour amongst their gang members. ASBOīs dont deter the crime at all, its just a stepping stone half the time to more serious crimes, landing them in prison - which again is no deterrant at all either!

What does everyone else think?

Thumbs up

totally agree guys, Asboīs do not work, the youth donīt care, something else needs to be done as its also waste of courts time and our money!! What do you reckon?

Talking

i think the youth of today who break the law, should be sent to concentration camps for hard labour - they certainly wont want to return in a hurry !

Default ASBO's could work

ASBO's could work if the courts knew what they where doing!!!!

It takes a wealth of evidence to force a magistrate to apply one. And by a wealth, I mean reems ans reems of paperwork, members of the public who have been terrorised by these little 'delights' to turn up at court and give evidence. If one witness does not turn up the magistrates will bin the case. After all this, the ASBO may be granted providing the magistrates don't fall for the "But he's a lovely lad, just having a hard time/been good for 2 weeks/he's misunderstood etc." Now then, when the little delight breaches the ASBO and is hauled back before the magistrates, what do you think happens......In my mind that person should go to prison, however the idiots that preside over are criminal justice system release these drains on society back into the public with the same conditions on the ASBO. Rant over. For now.

+ Reply to Thread